The College of IST and the University offer resources to support teaching. The websites for the units listed on this page are good starting places for information on teaching grants, testing centers, instructional consultation, research opportunities for use of emerging technologies, library resources, and the latest developments in educational technologies. If you don’t find what you need on this page, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Pattee-Paterno Library houses Information Sciences and Technology Research Guides including these databases and articles:
- Compendex – Find articles on computers and data processing
- IEEExplore – Articles, conference publications, and standards from IEEE
- Inspec – Find articles on information technology, computers, and computing
- Web of Science – Interdisciplinary database for subject and citation searching
- ProQuest – A multidisciplinary database
- Academic Search Complete – Find articles on a broad range of topics (STEM, humanities, social sciences)
- PsycINFO – Find articles on all aspects of psychology
- ERIC – Education database
- Sociological Abstracts – Indexes articles, conference papers, book chapters, and more
The assigned librarian to the College of IST is Carmen Cole. To request his help regarding assignments in your course, contact her at email@example.com.
Office of Learning Design
The Office of Learning Design houses the College’s instructional designers and design interns. The Office offers:
- Instructional design for online courses
- Assistance with educational technologies
- Website with tips for online instructors
Office of Graduate and Undergraduate Academic Affairs
The Office of Graduate and Undergraduate Academic Affairs has broad responsibility for graduate and undergraduate academic and curricular initiatives such as the planning, development, and assessment of curricular programs; the support for and implementation of innovative teaching practices; the oversight of learning support programs; and the facilitation of engaged scholarship initiatives. Faculty services include:
- Consultation on new courses and curricular changes
- Presentation of monthly Teaching Community luncheons
- Planning for classroom research
- Assessment of learning outcomes
Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence
The Schreyer Institute for Teaching Excellence (SITE) the University’s central teaching support center, offers:
- Teaching grants
- New instructor orientation
- TA workshops and courses
- Test scanning services
- Books, websites, and workshop materials on course design and assessment
Teaching and Learning with Technology (TLT)
Teaching and Learning with Technology at Penn State is a collaboration of learning innovators who discover and advance technologies that engage learners. TLT offers:
- Faculty development programs.
- Design and research of flexible, active learning spaces—including classrooms, computer labs, and informal learning spaces.
- Targeted research projects with faculty.
- Support for University-wide services including Adobe Connect, ANGEL, Canvas, Media Commons, and Turnitin.
- Student computing labs and technology classrooms at University Park.
- Accessibility information and services to all of Penn State.
Education Technology Services (ETS)
Education Technology Services (ETS), a unit within Teaching and Learning with Technology (TLT), provides leadership and support in the appropriate use of technology for teaching, learning, and research. ETS offers:
- Opportunities for faculty to further their use of technology for teaching and learning
- Support of technology innovation
- Research opportunities in the use of emerging technologies as they relate to teaching and learning
- University-wide technology implementations that are designed to support teaching, learning, and research
- Face-to-face and virtual events that are designed to bring members of the teaching and learning community together
- Teaching with Technology resources like the ETS Wiki and the ETS Blog.